Saturday 11 May 2013

The first time I saw your face - best character entrances

Last week we looked at some of my favourite ways to enter a room. This week, I'm all about character entrances. Some arrive in a clash of thunder, some with a smirk, and some with awesome backing music. Here are my picks of the best:


10. Colonel Kurtz - Apocalypse Now


Having spent the whole film leading to this moment, he makes one hell of an impression in a short amount of screen time.


For iPhone/iPad click here.


9. Tobias Beecher - Oz


Making another list due to my obsession with the show (seriously, I'm currently considering Oz marathon number 9,999) and we enter Oz along with Beecher. Having Alvarez stabbed in front of him will not be his lowest point...

For iPhone/iPad click here.



8. Satanico Pandemonium - From Dusk Til Dawn


I won't bother with an intro, as Danny Trejo does a better job than I could ever hope to.

For Iphone/iPad click here.


7. Dr Peter Venkman - Ghostbusters


Ghostbusters came out when I was 5. And from the moment I spied Venkman fudging the results of a psychometric tests to flirt with a girl, a lifelong love affair with Bill Murray bloomed. 

For iPhone/iPad click here


6. Patrick Bateman - American Psycho


When I first heard that American Psycho was being adapted for the screen, I was worried that they would never be able to do the book justice. I needn't have worried, as this introduction to Patrick Bateman attests.

For iPhone/iPad click here.


5. Jaws - Jaws


Having spent all of our time up til now with Jaws as point of view shots, or as a bit of (brilliant) music, the first time we actually clap eyes on him is one helluva moment, and also leads to one of my favourite lines in a film, ever.

For iPhone/iPad click here.


4. Jack Sparrow - Pirates of the Caribbean


Although Johnny Depp is annoying me more and more these days (I think it's the scarves. Seriously, how long does it take him to pick out and artfully arrange those 20 scarves, 30 bangles and various chains each time he gets dressed? I'll bet he takes at least 30 times longer to get dressed than I do), I can't deny that this introduction is fan-flipping-tastic.

For iPhone/iPad click here.


3. The Kurgan - Highlander


If I had my way, every moment starring the Kurgan would be top of every list going. Sadly, I understand that the world doesn't share my slightly off-kilter tastes - and that most people cheer for Christophe Lamby-pie against the Kurgan. Fools.

For iPhone/iPad click here.


2. Jesus Quintana - The Big Lebowski


Surely the greatest introduction, including the awesomeness of the Gipsy Kings Hotel California, except: Eight year olds, dude...

For iPhone/iPad click here.


1. Frank N Furter - Rocky Horror Picture Show


And so we find ourselves here, backing up against an elevator while a sparkly platform heel taps time. What happens next must have had a very profound effect on me as I not only found Tim Curry wildly attractive but also grew up to believe that most men look sexier with a bit of lippy and some eyeliner...

For iPhone/iPad click here.


Those were my favourites. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment