Friday 28 June 2013

Bitches Be Bitchin'

A little while ago I mentioned my love for Rizzo from Grease. Watching the film hundreds of times as I grew up, it was always clear to me that Sandy was rubbish - meek and mousy and only apparently good enough for Danny once she'd had a makeover - and that the person I wanted to be when I grew up was the 'bad' girl.

It's a character type I've continued to be drawn to ever since - strong women with smart mouths and an attitude. My mum also happens to be a particularly kick-ass lady, so in honour of her birthday (Happy Birthday mum!) let's have a look at some of my screen favourites. 

Most of these ladies have been called a bitch at some time or another, but every one of them makes it a badge of honour...


Aeryn Sun - Farscape


In a show full of badasses, former Peacekeeper Aeryn was the baddest. It takes a special kind of woman to snort with laughter when a psycho pulls a gun.

For iPhone/iPad click here.

Lucille Bluth - Arrested Development


Thankfully my mum is nothing like Lucille Bluth as a mother, or my Gran might really have had a point whenever she said my brother was a mummy's boy. But what Lucille lacks in mothering skills, she makes up for in great lines.


For iPhone/iPad click here.

Betty White - Lake Placid


Nothing beats a sweet little old lady with a potty mouth and a talent for sarcasm. This is exactly the type of old lady I want to be.

For iPhone/iPad click here.

Sue White - Green Wing


Like Sue, I work in the corporate side of a healthcare organisation. I would dearly love to pull a Sue one day.


For iPhone/iPad click here.


Veronica Mars - Veronica Mars


A tiny girl with a giant attitude, Veronica is really a marshmellow. But you wouldn't guess that in a million years...


For iPhone/iPad click here.


Honourable mentions go to Cordelia Chase (BTVS), Trixie (Deadwood), Kim Kelly (Freaks & Geeks), Queenie (Blackadder 2), the littlest badass of them all - Arya Stark (Game of Thrones) and, of course, Rizzo.

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather live one day as a bad ass rather than one hundred as a mouse. Tall short fat thin uniquely beautiful or recogniably pretty we all have a space to fill, its our duty to fill it not be pushed into it! Wether ure boat set float due to daglo tans, soaking up movies, books and knowledge or pounding the treadmill do your thang, but do it honestly don't let anyone tell u how u should be and should anyone attempt to push u or one of ure sisters give them the sharpest toungue lashing and hardest arse kicking your delicate little limbs will allow. As women, we lead, shape ure sons into the men u wanted to marry teach ure daughters everything you know, give everything and the rewards will be endless but never ever bow to the will of one who wants to do u or ure sisters wrong wrong. Protect and educate the weak encourage the strong and never ever sit in a park in the rain waiting for the pleb u fancy to pay u some attention ha ha

    ReplyDelete