Wednesday 1 January 2014

My Year In Books

As I mentioned yesterday, I managed to read 84 books this year (yes, I am the sort of person who keeps track of this sort of thing. I'm also the sort of person who thinks 84 is a paltry figure, and that I really should do better in 2014). Only a few were actually published in 2013 - I have far too many unread books already sat on my shelves and in my Kindle to allow me to get around to those for a while yet - so this won't be a round-up of the year's best books. What this will be is a list of those books that I loved most in 2013, or loathed (click on the titles to be taken to the reviews).

Those I loved and that you should run out instantly and get copies of

10. Angelmaker, by Nick Harkaway
9. Mother Night, by Kurt Vonnegut
8. The Secret History, by Donna Tartt
7. HMS Surprise, by Patrick O'Brian
6. Eleanor of Aquitaine, by Alison Weir
5. The Liveship Traders (series), by Robin Hobb
4. Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three, by Mara Leveritt
3. The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester
2. Wolf Hall & Bring Up The Bodies, by Hilary Mantel (Thomas Cromwell #'s 1 & 2)
1. The Ocean At The End of The Lane, by Neil Gaiman


And those that made me wish I'd never learnt to read in the first place

10. Gentlemen Prefer Succubi, by Jill Myles 
9. The Atrocity Exhibition, by JG Ballard (although I feel bad about it)
8. Witch Fire, by Anya Bast
7. The Fall of Arthur, by JRR Tolkien
6. Magic of Thieves, by C. Greenwood
5. Hunter's Moon, by CT Adams & Cathy Clamp
4. Helen of Troy, by Margaret George
3. Ravens, by George Dawes Green
2. Dead Ever After, by Charlaine Harris
1. Taken by the T-Rex, by Christie Sims & Alara Branwen

And there you have it. I read some blinders this year, but also read an awful lot of bad Kindle smut. And although that always figures highly in each year's most hated list, it seems I never bloody learn. Especially when it's free.

What were your favourite reads this year? And which books made you want to throw them on the fire? Do share...


P.S. If any of you are interested in my full list of books for 2013 (you never know, there could be at least one very bored person out there) then click here. And while you're over on Goodreads, don't forget to get yourself a profile, friend me and start reviewing. Go on...




No comments:

Post a Comment