Saturday 30 March 2013

Most Awesome - TV Openers

With the return this week of Game of Thrones (wibble) and it's lovely opening credits sequence, I've been pondering what makes a memorable opener. Some credits go on for far too long (I'm looking at you, Dexter), some are clever, some are fun, and some I'd be hard pushed to remember at all. Here's my round-up of the most awesome opening TV credits of all time:

10. Six Feet Under

Niknak tells me the music is by Photek, and that if I don't include this he's moving out. Also has the distinction of most memorable last episode of all time.

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

9. True Blood

This one should have been M*A*S*H, but I can't find the actual opening credits sequence anywhere. So instead we get this sexy/creepy slice of Americana (look away for the fox!), and a song that really does make me want to do bad things...

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

8. Veronica Mars

While this probably wouldn't rate so highly if I wasn't quite so obsessed with the show, I love the little doodles that pop up with each character, and the song lets you know instantly what the tone will be. Well played, Dandy Warhols, well played.

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

7. Grange Hill

If you grew up in the 80's, you know this opener. And love it (wonky quality, but what do you expect? It's not so young anymore...)

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

6. Freaks & Geeks

A great song, a great way to introduce us to our characters, plus Bill (Martin Starr) giving the best school picture smile in the history of school pictures.

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

5. Oz

I watch this series a lot, to the point that whenever I see the HBO insignia I expect this to follow. Contains tons of drugs, sex and violence - and that's just in the credits.

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

4. The Sopranos

Probably one of the most iconic credits of recent times, it's easy to see why.

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

3. The Fresh Prince

It won't let me embed the proper, short version so you'll just have to pretend the middle part doesn't exist...but if you say the words 'In West Philadelphia' in a crowded room, I guarantee every single person will rap the rest of this back at you. 

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

2. The A-Team

They really don't make them like they used to. When I think of the A-Team, I think of Hannibal smoking a cigar in a croc-suit, BA being gnarly, Face being handsome and Murdoch popping out of a hearse with a machine gun. You get everything you need to know about this show in the opening credits - except the bit where they build an armoured truck out of a laundry hamper.

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

1. Farscape

Hands down my favourite credit sequence ever, this pulls of the neat trick of telling you everything you need to know while being completely bat-shit at the same time. 

(for iPhone/iPad click here)

Honourable mentions

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - for getting me so damn excited every time I hear it (still)

Blackadder closing credits - specifically those from the second series

Red Dwarf - Even if youtube doesn't want me to show you it.

So, these are my favourites. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment