Wednesday 27 January 2016

Bones of the Hills, by Conn Iggulden

3 stars

The last part of Genghis' story, I'm kind of glad that he died when he did as I'd continued to find this series a wee bit samey. So many sieges, so many arrows, and so many massacres meant that regardless of who was on the receiving end, I'd started to feel that I'd read it all before.


In this, Genghis continues to kick the shit out of any nation that so much as looks at him funny, while still finding time to be a dick to his kids. He also meets a new enemy that might just be as formidable as he is, while also realising that simply leaving a place once you've annihilated it doesn't mean it stays annihilated, and that he might just have to fight them again on his next trip through. Sadly, there's no time for a second beating before karma stabs him right in the gut. It couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.


I see now that this isn't actually a trilogy and that the story continues - this time presumably with Genghis' grandson, Kublai, in the lead. I'm not going to be rushing out to read it, as I imagine that it's just more of the same, only with Genghis' name tippexed out and Kublai's name scribbled in the margin.


No comments:

Post a Comment